Certified Public Manager Program® of Illinois
About the Illinois Certified Public Manager Program:
The Certified Public Manager Program of Illinois (CPMPI) is a professional development program for public and non-profit managers. CPMPI is a competency-based program designed to provide public manager professionals with the essential knowledge and skills to be successful leaders in the public sector. CPMPI program is learner-centered, focusing on fresh approaches, new ideas and relevant and usable information.
CPMPI is a 300-hour (28 courses) program consisting of three levels of instruction in management theory and practice. The time to complete the program is generally 18 to 24 months. Trainings are generally one day, 10 hour courses.
The highly interactive coursework is designed specifically for adult learners. CPMPI program approach is experienced focused, emphasizing small group activities and discussion, and the integration of theory into real world applications.
The CPMPI program curriculum covers the full spectrum of management, beginning with individual performance, and gradually expanding to broader organizational issues and public policy. A team of practitioners and academic faculty teaches each of the areas. The eight general areas that form the core curriculum are:
- Leadership and Ethics
- Cultural Competency
- Effective Supervision
- Program/Project Management
- Organizational Management
- Human Resource Management
- Building and Managing Effective Partnerships
- Public Policy and Administration
The mission of the Certified Public Manager Program of Illinois is to contribute to the effectiveness of the public services in the State of Illinois by offering a professional development program that provides public manager professionals with the essential and core knowledge, skills, and attitudes needed to manage in the public sector of the 21st century.
- Supporting the unique professional development needs of Illinois public managers in the 21st Century;
- Promoting leadership development in the practice of public management through high educational and ethical standards;
- Providing a dynamic learning environment that facilitates the emergence of new and innovative ideas, approaches, and practices in the field of public administration;
- Building collaborative partnerships across the nonprofit organizations, state, local and federal government agencies and organizations;
- Serving as the resource for professional development training and education for the public sector in the State of Illinois.